|“||Can you believe it, Max? We're getting not one, not three, but two new campers today!||”|
—David, "Escape from Camp Campbell"
David is the deuteragonist of Camp Camp. He is one of the two counselors working at Camp Campbell. He is a cheerful, happy-go-lucky guy who would do just about anything to show people the bright side of camping. His personality clashes with that of Gwen, his co-counselor, but most of all Max, a camper at Camp Campbell who despises everything about camping.
David has a thin, lanky build, short auburn hair, and blue-green eyes. He wears a long-sleeved, dark green Camp Campbell counselor T-shirt with rolled-up sleeves and olive green shorts, as well as white socks, brown shoes, and a yellow Camp Campbell t-shirt tied around his neck and a brown vest, much like camp founder, Cameron Campbell.
Back when David was a camper, the tuft of hair above his forehead was more rounded. He wore a yellow shirt, a brown vest, olive shorts, and white socks with brown shoes.
David is shown to be upbeat, enthusiastic, and happy-go-lucky. He constantly tries desperately to put the positive spin on any situation (much to Max and fellow co-counselor Gwen's ire.) He has a blind admiration for Cameron Campbell, to the point that he puts all his effort into trying to uphold the legacy of the camp to the best of his ability. Unlike Gwen, he has never sworn except on one occasion in "The Order of the Sparrow."
David is very energetic, often being shown skipping and making dramatic gestures. In "Scout's Dishonor," David even says he lies in bed awake in eager anticipation for the next day rather than actually sleeping.
In "Reigny Day," David proves that he can be rather inconsiderate in the face of obsession. He was obsessed with obtaining the "Camp Counselor of the Year" award from the Camp Critic Committee. In addition, he rudely ignored his co-counselor Gwen, who tried to inform him of the bad weather. Another such occurrence took place when Neil was briefly believed to be murdered; he sobbed, saying, "There goes my award!"
In the episode "The Order of the Sparrow", when Max tells him to give up, David replies that despite Max having a point about camping and how no one seems to care, he's still going to try because as he quotes, "somebody fucking has to." This shows that David isn't as naive as he seems and that his optimism is only matched by his determination, which in the end paid off.
As a child and Campbell camper himself, David is shown to have hated the camp much like Max. In "Jasper Dies at the End", after going with Jasper and Mr. Campbell on a hike in the woods, he was forced to use his own wits to find and save Jasper, which caused him to develop a love for camp after being awarded a "best camper" badge.
Despite his fierce loyalty to Cameron Campbell, David will always put the needs of his campers first, even Max. In "Parents' Day" he and Gwen disobeyed Campbell's orders to pretend to be Max's family for the talent show so they could cheer Max up with some pizza after learning his parents had essentially abandoned him at the camp.
- Main article: Affiliation
- Max and David are the only characters whose ages have been clearly established. With Max's age (10) being revealed by Gwen in "Gwen Gets a Job", later confirmed in "Parents' Day". And with David's age (24) revealed in his Tinder profile in "Romeo & Juliet II: Love Resurrected".
- His biography on Tinder is just the full list of activities rattled off in the show's theme song.
- David getting injured is a running gag in the series. He has been run over by vehicles multiple times, stabbed, attacked by wolves, and even set on fire.
- David says he can't help but salute the Camp Campbell flag every time he sees it ("Escape from Camp Campbell").
- The bandana David wears is actually his Camp Campbell camper shirt from when he was a young camper himself. This is revealed in "Camporee."
- As a kid, David was called "Davey" as revealed in "Jasper Dies at the End."
- Mr. Campbell still addresses David as "Davey" even as an adult, up until the end of season 3. As of season 4, he has only been calling him "David" so far, potentially implying some form of recognition of age, or personal respect.
- In his younger days, he was actually very similar to Max (being somewhat of a troublemaker) but to a much less severe degree. It could be implied that David believes that Max will turn out like him someday.
- In "Camp Corp." David says he always knew that Max would realize his love for Camp Campbell, just as he did as a child. He had even created a trapdoor on the ceiling of the counselors' cabin, loaded with balloons, confetti and live birds for the occasion. Upon finding the birds dead in his celebration, he sheepishly says that he expected this day to have come a lot sooner.
- In the season 4 premiere "Keep the Change", Nikki states that Max has lightened up a bit, potentially thanks to David's happy-go-lucky influence. Conversely, she states that David has changed, as his method of "pushing Campbell in the right direction" to show him becoming a better person was to get a robber to come threaten the camp. At the end of the episode, Nikki states that David and Max are really rubbing off on each other. Their response is a synchronized, "oh my god" and staring down at their own hands in disbelief.
- David has only been absent from two episodes in the series thusfar; "Cookin' Cookies" and "New Adventure!".
- He was almost entirely absent from "Who Peed the Lake" but is very briefly shown in a flashback, holding a clipboard and talking to Gwen, as Max was monologuing about the events that took place at breakfast.
- In "Quartermaster Appreciation Day", the Quartermaster reveals that if he were ever to betray the camp someday, he'd go for David first.
- David has only sworn once throughout the series (near the end of the episode "The Order of the Sparrow").
- He likes trail mix, as revealed in the episode "Anti-Social Network".
- Since he and Gwen share the same Cabin, David sleeps on the right side of the room, while Gwen has the left side. His side has a corkboard labeled "Memories" hanging on the wall, a mug that says "#1 Counselor." His two drawers are labeled "David" and "Knee High Socks," and has a "morning wood" that he sleeps with. He also has a DIY Guitar Repair Kit, as seen in "Cult Camp".
- David writes "Max + Positivity = Success" on his clipboard in the episode "Mascot". In "Cult Camp", we see that the paper has been tacked onto the Counselors' Cabin's wall beneath his corkboard.
- In "The Fun-Raiser", it is shown that he has kept track of the times wherein he and Gwen have caught Max smiling, which was 1.5 times (with the 0.5 being a smirk).
- In "Arrival of the Torso Takers", Daniel says that Max is David's favorite camper whilst detailing his plan to live stream Max's murder to David.
- David plays the guitar frequently, and can often produce it from behind his back to be able to sing songs ("Escape from Camp Campbell" and "Cult Camp").
- He can also play the trumpet, as shown in "Camporee".
- Max stole David's phone to message women on Tinder in "Romeo & Juliet II: Love Resurrected", and matched with Bonquisha. She showed up near the end of the episode with the intent on taking David out on a date, who was unaware that Max had done any of this. He wasn't too keen on it, asking if they could just be friends as she picked him up and walked away. They wound up dating from that point on, up until "Bonjour Bonquisha", in which she breaks up with him for not being 'man enough' for her.
- In "Bonjour Bonquisha" David reveals that he is a hopeless romantic, and says in "Quartermaster Appreciation Day" that he believes that love conquers all.
- He also has a surprisingly mature take on breakups, making a very heartfelt speech at the end of the episode about how healing takes time and that there is some good to be found in these situations.
- That being said, he did punch Bonquisha's new lover Jacob in the face right after he introduced himself, and was then shown to start swinging a chair at him before the end credits started rolling.
- Interestingly enough, he seems to have kept one of her muscle shirts; a pink one with "NO GAG REFLEX" written across the chest. Max is shown flinging it off to the side while looking for evidence to explain "David's" odd behavior (who was really Daniel in disguise) in "Arrival of the Torso Takers".
- Similar to Darla and Gregg, David and Gwen both have the same initials and both are working hand in hand as co-counselors of Camp Campbell.
- David has spent a portion of his summer giving swimming lessons to Space Kid, on dry land, as revealed in "Who Peed the Lake". He is currently unaware of the fact that Max is unable to swim, though that may change in the future.
- To see the full gallery, go to David/Gallery.