|“||The theater! The cruelest mistress of all! Like the mistakes of so many teenage girls, has been aborted.||”|
Preston Goodplay is a Theater Camp camper at Camp Campbell. He spends his time both writing plays and watching them as well.
Preston is most likely modeled after the famous playwright and stage actor, William Shakespeare, due to his similar hairstyle and outfit similar to that that of 1500's fashion.
His hair is a dark auburn, contrasting with his pale pink skin, and his eyes are a golden-yellow. He wears a yellow shirt and a matching yellow neck ruff. Preston has two puffed sleeves, which are a striped mix of dark and light green. He has dark-green jeans with visible pockets, which are tucked into small purple boots.
One of Preston's mot defining characteristics is the volume of his voice. He is almost always yelling when communicating with others, and usually his communication is in the form of passionate outbursts, whether they be positive or negative. Because his grandmother attended Parents' Day instead of his parents, it is heavily implied that he lives with her. Because she is very hard-of-hearing he has to raise his voice quite high to talk to her, thus it became part of his life at Camp Campbell as well. He is also quick to anger if she cannot understand when he talks in a normal tone of voice.
He is deeply passionate when it comes to all things involving the theater. He has a wide knowledge of many plays, such as "Les Miserables", "Hamilton" and Romeo and Juliet. He's also tried his hand at writing his own plays; to date, he's created performances for a sequel known as Romeo & Juliet II: Love Resurrected and even mentions plans for a potential trilogy, as well as his Wacky Camp Counselor series in the episode "Preston Goodplay's Good Play". In that same episode, he mentions he's been working on a sequel to the film Forrest Gump, titled "Forrest Gump 2: Too Much Shrimp." Although he clearly loves to write sequels, he may not be very good at coming up with ideas. He is often looked down on by the other campers as they state that his plays mediocre and his personality is annoying.
Preston is very ambitious and dislikes anything that goes against his vision, being quick to anger if something goes awry. He is very strict with himself as a creator, and with others performing his plays, and will not hesitate to let anyone know if their performance is poor (or good, on rare occasions, such as Tabii and the platypus in the episode "Romeo & Juliet II: Love Resurrected").
In The Order of the Sparrow, he is shown to have the energy and ability to clean the entire forest in a very short amount of time (less than a day). When David tells him that the forest was dirty because "it's the forest" Preston seems momentarily surprised before replying "I know! I really did some good today!" His excessive energy may be fueled by an addiction to soda; in the episode "Camp Cool Kidz", he can be seen drinking two 2L bottles of soda simultaneously.
And sometimes, Preston can come across as clueless. Such as when he mistakes Viagro for Penicillin in the episode "NIGHT OF THE LIVING ILL", and remarks "the pills do nothing!" when all he did was throw them at Nikki and not have her swallow them.
Preston's Theatrical Projects
Shown in "Jermy Fartz (episode)", where he asked the campers to grab an item that represents their love for nature and make a brief presentation on it.
Shown in "Cameron Campbell the Camp Campbell Camper]", he sat in as a moderator while Nurf, Nerris, Harrison, Dolph, Campbell and David performed.
"Wacky Camp Counselor"
Shown in "Preston Goodplay's Good Play", he put on an exaggerated impression of David dropping his juggling balls. This took him across multiple costumes and performances.
"Forrest Gump 2: Too Much Shrimp"
In "Fashion Victims", Preston is shoved on-stage to stall the fashion show, wearing a dress and white stage makeup, and announces he's prepared an exclusive selection from his new masterwork, "Forrest Gump 2: Too Much Shrimp". While the play hasn't been shown yet, it is still being written, and is now the second piece of existing fiction he's made his own sequel for (with the first one being Romeo and Juliet, of course).
- Main article: Affiliation
- Preston's full name was first revealed in the teaser trailer. He is the first character whose first and last names were revealed.
- Preston, alongside Meredith Miller, Cameron Campbell, Neil Armstrong Junior, Edward Pikeman and Jermy Fartz, Billy Nikssilp, Stephen van Petrol, Penelope Priss, Dolph Houston, and Gaylord Nurfington are the only characters in the show so far to have their last names revealed.
- Although Preston's first appearance was in "Escape from Camp Campbell", Preston's voice actor was not revealed until the fourth episode "Camp Cool Kidz".
- In the same episode, Preston is seen holding a pen as he pursues Space Kid. This is most likely a reference to the idiom, "the pen is mightier than the sword".
- Preston is shown to vomit easily, as stated by Nikki in "Parents' Day" and is shown in "Quartermaster Appreciation Day."
- He is also shown to scream like a girl when in peril, as shown in "NIGHT OF THE LIVING ILL" and "Arrival of the Torso Takers".
- A common animation error involving Preston is how he disappears after the first few scenes of an episode, as shown in the episodes "Mascot" and "Camporee".
- In "A Camp Camp Christmas, or Whatever", Preston appears topless with no nipples, although both Max and Neil are shown to have nipples in "Camp Cool Kidz" while David was also shown to have nipples "The Order of the Sparrow". In "Preston Goodplay's Good Play", Preston's nipples are visible while he takes a bath.
- Based on the quote "Well as the children of divorced parents often say, TWO CHRISTMASES!!" (from "A Camp Camp Christmas, or Whatever", it's possible that his parents are divorced, but Preston is known for using metaphors it could likely be a false claim.
- Preston is one of Ainsley's followers on Photoglam and according to him, Ainsley is his second favorite influencer on Photoglam. He holds Ainsley in high regard and frequently praises her, and goes as far as to temporarily ditch Camp Campbell to participate in the Flower Scout fund-raiser.
- Given the poor quality of Camp Campbell's WiFi and the lack of cell-phones seen by the campers, it is likely that Preston followed Ainsley before the events of "Camp Camp".
- It's hinted that Preston does not trust Catholics and views them a pedophiles, as in "St. Campbell's Day" he implies that St. Valentine was probably a pedophile since he was Catholic.
- Nicholaus Weindel's Preston voice has a British accent, referencing Shakespeare's English nationality.
- However Whitman's Preston voice has a American accent, the sudden change in accent is unfortunately never addressed.
- His previous voice actor, Georden Whitman, was also a concept artist for Camp Camp and is the creator of Rooster Teeth's sister series, Nomad of Nowhere.
- Whitman also revealed that the amount of yelling as Preston has costed him his voice once.